How your cardiologist in Houston, TX, can help you with high blood pressure
Did you know that high blood pressure is also known as the silent killer? That’s because you may not know you have it. High blood pressure often goes unnoticed, without any signs or symptoms. Meanwhile, high blood pressure is damaging your heart. Fortunately, your cardiologist can help you manage your high blood pressure, so you live longer and better.
Dr. Alireza Nazeri at Mobitz Heart & Rhythm Center in Houston, TX, provides a wide range of cardiology services, including helping to manage high blood pressure.
High blood pressure is also known as hypertension, and if it goes undiagnosed or untreated, it can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
Your blood pressure is a measurement of blood flowing through your arteries, and if the flow of blood finds resistance, it will elevate your blood pressure. The resistance is caused by fatty plaques building up on the walls of your arteries.
Diet, genetics, and other factors all play a role in your blood pressure. You can do a lot to help manage your blood pressure by sticking to a heart-healthy diet. Remember to:
- Eat lean meats like fish or poultry instead of fatty red meats
- Consume low fat dairy products instead of full fat dairy
- Eat lots of green leafy vegetables and fruits
- Limit your salt intake to help prevent water retention
- Limit your alcohol intake and don’t smoke
Exercise is also an important key to managing your blood pressure. Try to exercise at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. Include aerobic exercises like swimming, walking, or jogging to get your heart working.
Your cardiologist can help you manage your blood pressure by prescribing medications to lower your blood pressure. Your cardiologist may recommend:
- Diuretics, to limit fluid buildup
- ACE inhibitors, to relax blood vessels
- Beta Blockers, to lower your cardiac workload
- Calcium channel blockers, to slow down your heart rate
To learn more about how to manage your high blood pressure and live a heart-healthy lifestyle, call Dr. Alireza Nazeri at Mobitz Heart & Rhythm Center in Houston, TX. You can reach him in the office by calling (713) 909-3166, so call now.